Sunday, August 21, 2016

Some history from a previous owner

One of the things I obtained with my Sovereign 7.0 sailboat was a 3-ring binder with a bunch of documentation in it. Through this documentation I've been able to identify at least 7 previous owners. I was able to contact Stepen W., the owner before the one who sold it to me. He's the one who brought the boat to Miami after it spent all its life in Louisiana, but not before a stop in Wisconsin.

Here's what he told me, along with some photos:
In 2009 I lived in Louisiana. The Sovereign 7 was a Katrina survivor. She was a mess. Full of wasps, mossy, moldy an the sou soul was rotted out. I asked the owner if I cleaned it, if may sail it and he was agreeable. So I did and he gave it to me.   
She sailed in Lake Pontchartrain for two years. Then I trailered her to Sturgeon bay, WI. And sailed her there and cruised Door County for two years. There I replaced the sou soul, pulled the head and painted the deck and bottom.  
Then I moved to Miami Beach and kept her at the Crandon Park Marina at anchor for two years until Brian picked her up. The trailer I bought in Wisconsin and retrofitted it to fit the boat which cost me , trailer and fit, $2300. The trailer was worth as much as the boat. Before I sold to Brian I replaced the Genoa. The Main is original. The Johnson needs to be serviced once a year.  
The boat's original name was Drifter which I changed to Katie's Drifter after my mother. I loved the boat and did what I could for her until I moved to my present boat. She's near indescribable. Keep the bottom clean and she'll go up to 7 knots with the right wind. 
Enjoy. And she'll be perfect to sail the bay with that shallow draft.



No comments:

Post a Comment